It’s midterm season with deadlines and assignments looming over our heads. It’s that time of the semester when getting a good night’s sleep is a luxury rather than a necessity. In these dark times, may the force be with you!
Today, I want to address a very common yet unspoken phenomenon- the FRESHMAN 15 or even the SOPHOMORE 16! You may not gain the entire 15 or 16 pounds, but it is possible to gain a few pounds while at university. Here are common reasons that cause student to gain weight:
- Excessive stress
- Depression and anxiety
- Unhealthy foods galore
- Busy schedules
- $1 Beers? GIVE ME MORE!
With the newfound freedom that comes with university, it is often tough for students to manage a full course load and maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, developing a healthy lifestyle is key for a happier life in the long term. Here are some ways in which you can not only combat the excessive weight gain:
- Class on 3rd floor of Welch Hall? Take the stairs!
- Stretch the stress away!
Brock Recreation has many physical activities like Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, Kickboxing, along with a bunch of fitness classes. While some are paid for, the others are completely free! Click the link below to find out more:
- Gap between two classes? Choose the gym over the nap!
The Brock Walker complex has a fully equipped gym with a stretching area, and a track for running. If the aforesaid fitness classes don’t entice you, try the gym and workout at your own pace!
- Cut down on the alcohol!
Your body will look much better without that beer belly…
- Make healthier meal choices!
The pizza at the dining hall can make for a quick and easy meal. But lo and behold there’s a salad bar which is just as quick! Your future self will thank you for this wise decision. (You can thank me now!)
- Sometimes, the pressure of university can adversely affect your mental health which takes a toll on your physical health too. If you need someone to talk to, Brock is at your service. Whether it is a physical or mental issue, click the link below to guide you through these tough times:
- Lastly, with midterm season deadlines, don’t forget to take care of yourself and your health!
Now that you’ve got some great tips to combat the Freshman 15 (or Sophomore 16), what’s stopping you?! Dream big and go get those six pack abs 😉